Intimidating Books – Top 5 Tuesday

Whether they’re long, part of a huge series or just so wildly popular the rabid fans are off-putting.. there are books or series that are intimidating to start. There are a lot of classics that I want to read, but they’re just not currently where my head is so it’s more like “not my current mood” than “intimidating read”. As such, I tried to pick books or series that I want to read but just haven’t yet for whatever reason.

All of these books or series are ones that I want to get to, but for whatever reason, I keep putting off. Inspire me?

Top 5 Tuesday is a weekly meme that the lovely Bionic Bookworm does. If you are interested in doing any of her topics on your blog she welcomes it! Don’t forget to check out her upcoming topics if you’re interested in participating in future Top 5’s! Be sure to check out her post here!

Intimidating Books:

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

The Shannara Chronicles by Terry Brooks

I even started reading two of them in graphic novel form to inspire myself. I’m so interested in the stories but haven’t picked them up yet. (I think the biggest thing is that I tend to read and review YA, so I’ll usually pick up a teen novel to read next rather than another type.) Plus the first three are some of my Dad’s favourite books, that’s pressure right there!

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I’m constantly being told that I need to watch Outlander, but guys I can’t watch it before I read the book. (Whoops GoT, my dad showed me the show before we went out and bought the books.) It’s just so big and I don’t own a physical copy of it.

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

It’s one of my friend’s favourite books, so I want to read it but what if I don’t like it? Pressure! Again!

Simple-Line-Light-4

What books are you intimidated by? Have you read any of the ones on my list and are also completely in love? Let me know in the comments!

26 thoughts on “Intimidating Books – Top 5 Tuesday

1. suspectnarglesblog says:

Ender’s Game is definitely one of my favourite books of all time! I re-read it not so long ago and felt I would be in a similar situation to you– I was very scared that I wouldn’t like it as much! But it was so great the second time round! I am also very intimidated by Game of Thrones. Everybody loves it so so much, they’re a bit enormous though ahhaa

Liked by 1 person

2. jennanicolee says:

Oh…the Wheel of Time…I want to read this SO bad…but it’s SO LONG! I’ve also heard that some of the books in the series are not that great and definitely less action. So I’m totally nervous to start this series…possibly on my 2019 list 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Shanah - Bionic Book Worm says:

Outlander – 100% intimidating! LOL And Enders Game has been on my radar for a while as well. I didn’t know it was a book until after I saw the movie. I remember watching the movie thinking “this would make a fantastic book”……… but yet I haven’t read it yet!
    Thanks so much for participating – added you to the list 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. Step Into A Book World says:

I have read Game of Thrones and it took me forever so I haven’t even attempted the second book. I still need to read Lord of Shadows but looks huge on my shelf and plus I know that Cassandra Clare has a way of breaking my heart with her books. I have been putting it off till closer to the next book.

Liked by 1 person

5. J.W. Martin says:

The Wheel of Time. Holy molies! That’s a ton of reading, but so worth it in the end. If you go for it, and I think you should, you’re going to have to push through the first book. It’s a bit of a rough road, but picks up at the end. There isn’t a real lull like that again until make later in the series. The final book was amazing, and has an 80,000 word chapter. Yes, ONE CHAPTER! But it’s such an awesome chapter! Everything you’ve been waiting for 14 books to happen, happens!

Liked by 1 person

• kyera says:

Oh my gosh, yeah. I know I need to read it but I just haven’t yet. My excuse is that my dad bought the boxed set and decided to re-read the series. It’s been more than a year and he’s either on the fourth or the fifth book… I just keep saying I’m going to wait until I get them from him and then I will read it. Despite the fact that I definitely have his old copy of the first book on my bookshelf.